Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Writing Circle 3

In our latest writing circle we discussed each other's work and how we are progressing with our research. Stacie is motivated to write about urban public schools. I can see how this topic is a passion of hers and her research is sure to reflect that.

In our discussion myself and Darcy seem to have particular topics. Darcy is focusing her work on Catholic schools separation from public schools. I am focusing my work on the separation of education as a whole, which will include private vs public education.

I have written often about this topic and it is an issue I admit that I do not fully understand. My research has been effective and allowed me to gather more insight on the issue. Our writing circle discussion was focused a lot on my paper topic and Darcy's. (Sometimes I feel bad because I do not wish to focus all or much of our conversation on my topic but rather on everyone's equally). Our conversation was candid, open, respectful and insightful. It was very interesting to hear Darcy's views and mine, because although we both came from a Catholic High School, we have different views on how this education influences students.

Stacie and Shawn have given me excellent input that I am extremely grateful for. While we were in our circle, Shawn made a comment that poked my interest. He said that he felt that I received a better education than he did because he went to Mayfield and I went to St. Ignatius. This is exactly the type of comment that I want to focus my paper on, What makes Ignatius a better education to some people. Further, what does a better education even entail? I look forward to exploring these ideas in my research paper.

I learned a lot from our writing circle and I can honestly say I enjoyed everyone in out group. It was refreshing to have open, critical conversation. I feel that we were all able to bounce ideas off each other and get a feel for what we wanted to direct our focus on. I always enjoy debate because I see it as an opportunity to learn about a different view or ideal. Our writing circle was able to teach me many things and ultimately give me a solid base for my research. Shawn, Stacie, and Darcy were extremely helpful and I enjoyed every conversation we had together.

No comments:

Post a Comment