Thursday, July 5, 2012

Public v Private: A Constant Debate


I attended a private Catholic High School and the first year I carpooled everyday to and from school. My second year I was fortunate enough to be able to drive to school almost everyday. I never took a bus. Each day I would arrive at school I saw buses from other public school districts dropping students off at St. Ignatius. To me, this was always very odd.

During our last discussion the issue of busing and private schools was passionately debated. Each person has had a different experience with the subject. Some people went to public schools and have their feelings; some went to private schools and have their feelings. One side may not be completely right or wrong. It is my view that private schooling is a privilege, but far from a necessity or right. When a parent or student is choosing to attend a private school, they are, in a way, rejecting the schooling that the government is offering for free. There is nothing wrong with this, and in districts where the public school system is failing, private school may be the only realistic option for success. However, when the decision is made, then the student and family have decided to pursue an education on their own, outside of what the state is offering. Public taxes for education should not be given to them, but be put into the city and school in which they live in. The taxes are to make the school district the best it can be. They are not for individual pursuit. Dr. Shutkin discussed how the money follows the student. This logic leads to the use of public busing for private school students. I strongly believe that the money should follow the school and the district. For example: I live in Strongsville. If my children attended a private school, I would expect that my tax money would go into improving the Strongsville school district. I would not expect anything for my tax money, from an educational standpoint, because I have rejected what is being offered to me. A question that may arise is: Would you send you kids on a public bus to a private school if one was offered? My answer is: I don't know. I would like to think that I would not, and that my beliefs about the system would keep me from having them take the bus. Realistically, however, if it makes my life easier, and I can get up and go to work without having to worry about my child's transportation, then I'm not sure what my actions would be.

Now this is not to say that there aren't private school students who need the busing. There are many who need it. When choosing private schooling, however, that is part of the process. Even if there are extra buses available in a school district, I still think that the use of the buses for private school students is taking away money from a school district that could use it to improve their services. What is the solution then for private school students who need busing? The answer is complicated. Carpooling could be utilized, or the private school could run their own buses. If a bus that said Saint Ignatius High School on it picked me up, then that is not taking money away from the schools.

I realize the topic of private vs public has been discussed at length already. My intention is not to continue to harp on the same topic over and over. My personal experience has led me to examine the topic more than I maybe even should. Education is education, and maybe the foucs should be on improving the institution as a whole and not worry about petty differences. But improving this difference, this separation, may be am avenue to improving education as a whole. I find private vs public schooling as the aspect of education that most separates students. I know the impact it has had on me.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jim, Your discussion here is right on target! As Socrates teaches, "The unexamined life is not worth living." DS

    ReplyDelete